Friday, March 4, 2011

Red Dragon

I mentioned to a friend of mine last night that I had recently re-read Red Dragon and had to blog about it today, and his response was “Red Dragon? That’s a great book.” I found his reply noteworthy only because he’s not much of a reader, so when he mentions having really liked a book, I pay attention. I was thinking about his response earlier today, thinking of how I’d spin it into a blog entry on how Red Dragon was a book so great even “non-readers” sang its praises. I read some of my classmates’ blogs, all of whom seemed to also feel Red Dragon was a “great book”. Their entries listed, quite cogently, all the reasons the novel is considered so compelling by so many, as well as addressed the fact that it is an iconic work, groundbreaking for its time.

I won’t argue with Red Dragon’s icon status, but I will posit that it’s not actually a great book.

Yeah, I said it; it’s not a great book. Sure, it’s a good story, fast paced, full of vaguely interesting characters and downright creepy in parts. It’s well written and clearly well researched. However, it’s also full of stereotypes, cookie cutter characters and tired plot devices.

Let’s start with the circumstances in which we first encounter Will Graham. The man’s had a fairly serious mental breakdown and nearly died at the hands of Hannibal Lecter (or rather, Dr. Lecter’s linoleum knife) and now he’s just trying to live a nice, quiet life with his wife and stepson. I don’t buy that Jack Crawford would find it expeditious or wise to involve Graham in the manhunt for the “Tooth Fairy”, nor do I believe Graham would accept Crawford’s challenge with as little reluctance as he does. Now, I realize much of the horror canon – books and film – is precipitated on the “Don’t go in the house alone” syndrome, but I just found it incredibly hard to stomach the notion that Graham would get back in the ring, so to speak, with such haste and so little thought. So, there’s that.

Then there’s our bad guy, Mr. Dolarhyde, who frightens me about as much as Casper the Friendly Ghost. He is the Everyman of serial killers: he’s deformed, his parents abandoned him, his fellow orphans tormented him, and his grandmother abused him. Stop me if you’ve heard this tune before. Very Norman Bates, as one of my classmates pointed out in their blog entry. (That was Jen Loring, I think.) His crimes are horrific, true enough, and I’ll be forever haunted by the scene in which he kills Freddy Lounds, the tabloid reporter, but compared to other fictional and/or real accounts of serial murders, Dolarhyde’s actions seem almost tame. I did like the idea of his falling in love with Reba and wanting to “reform” for her sake compelling, though. I may have to use that one in a book of my own some day.

Finally, the book is incredibly dated, though this doesn’t detract from the fact that, for it’s time, it WAS revolutionary. The twenty-five plus intervening years haven’t been kind to some of the plot details. Think about Dolarhyde’s day job, the means through which he selects his victims. Nobody sends film away to be processed anymore. Now, it can be argued that his job was only a minor detail and thoroughly interchangeable, that he could have had any job and the book would have been largely the same.

And that’s the rub, this whole book is interchangeable. It reads like every other novel about a serial killer and the police working feverishly around the clock to stop him that I’ve ever had occasion to read. It’s a premise that’s just been done to death.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that it did seem pretty easy to get Graham to work on the case. But it really wasn't an issue for me. I think it actually added to his character because we know that he does not want to do it, but he has this sense of obligation to help. It's like he knows they need his help and he can't turn his back on something so serious. It makes it seem like he is really concerned about this particular murderer AND that he is a considerate person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding on to SLHB's comment above, I actually saw Graham's agreeing to work on the case as his sympathetic mindset, or ability to think like a psychopath that drew him in. I also agree with SLHB in that Graham appears to be truly concerned with stopping the Red Dragon from killing anyone else. To address your main post, however. Graham's situation at the beginning of the book may be cliche, but I think Harris presents readers with the quintessential dream that we all want: a happy life free from threat. Graham's voluntary leaving of this "happiness" points to the mindset that we have to find a way of living with the "crazy" within us or risk destroying ourselves from the inside out. Kinda like Dolarhyde split himself in two trying to save Reba.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Carla... I love your writing, but I'm your polar opposite on this one. It's funny, isn't it, how two people with somewhat similar interests can sit down to the same book and have opposite reactions? Even point-to-point, I'd disagree, having not had any trouble with Crawford's visit all the way down to refuting your claim that this one "reads like every other novel about a serial killer and the police working feverishly around the clock to stop him that I’ve ever had occasion to read. It’s a premise that’s just been done to death." Nope. Can't agree. And cookie cutter characters? Really? *Waggles tentacles with disbelief* Really? Now I have to plow through your blog to see which authors / books nailed characters for you. I'm honestly interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since this book came before most of the others in the genre, does it seem cookie cutter and stereotypical because all that came after it did the same things? Does that actually make those works copycats and this one only trite in sort of a retrospect?

    Granted, the book is dated. If I had to send my personal life on film out to be processed by some random stranger, I'd never have any pictures or film. Actually, I do have some 110 film with pictures of my oldest son that I tried to have developed at my friendly neighborhood drugstore where I know the clerks, and was told they were too old and had to be sent out. I still have them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your honest opinion! This is a prime example as to how some books work for some readers and not for others. My opinion is that, while it may seem dated now, this book did open the doors for many others in the genre. But, as always, your comments are well thought out and valid. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I'm remembering right (and we all know it is entirely possible that I am NOT remembering right, so bear with me), there was a low budget Red Dragon quasi-documentary style movie out before "Silence of the Lambs" was a movie. Then when Lambs hit big the re-did "Red Dragon" with a big budget as well.

    For a lot of people "Lambs" was the entry point to the Lecter universe and then they went back and read "Dragon." I remember seeing the low budget Dragon-esque movie, but I fear I was one of the Lambs readers before I went back and read Dragon.

    That all being said, Lecter stole the show and the thunder from The Tooth Fairy. The two details I remember being way creepy about The Tooth Fairy were his semi-normal interaction with his girlfriend (and the reader just waiting for him to snap) and gluing the guy to the wheelchair and lighting him on fire (a scene in the big budget version of the movie that just freaks you out even to this day).

    I suppose I have to agree with both sides on this. Dragon was iconic and opened the view of what horror could be to include police procedurals and real-life crime. But The Tooth Fairy really fades in comparison to Lecter and even to Buffalo Bill.

    Dave J

    ReplyDelete